Friday 23 September 2011

Accepting that nothing is that individual...

So when I started out on this bridal journey, I was forever yearning for the wedding to be "something different", something that "people had never experienced before". And the more & more I look at wedding blogs & magazines, I realise that I am a mere cog in the wedding industry as much as I try not to be.

The thing is... What is different anymore?

So many couples for the past decade or so have tried so hard to be different that they have merely created the next wedding trend! And no doubt in years to come, our children will look back at the 50s style dresses, vintage styling, teacups & mismatched flowers & ask "Mum, what were you thinking?!". And I think I can accept that... Just.
Long gone are the days when having your wedding abroad was something unusual. I know two brides that have done that this year alone. Not that I criticise. Each to their own...

I think the wedding industry may be about to accept the shift in mood amongst brides. Women have stepped out of the taffeta monstrosities, thrown down their tear drop bouquets, dragged the crystal tiara out of their hair & said "This isn't for me!". And we as the wedding congregation are starting to accept that you don't need the sugared almonds or the three tiered white-iced fruit cake to make a wedding any longer. Brides are now finally getting to choose what they do & don't want from the tradition-steeped pile of 'wedding musts'.

I know for one, we have picked & chosen what we want. I like tradition sometimes. But sometimes it just doesn't fit. And in some cases, it certainly doesn't fit with us! Why if I am getting married in the same venue as my reception do I want some vintage Rolls Royce to take me for a ride around the block because "it'll look good on the photos" ?!?! What a terrible waste of fuel & money!!! Not at our wedding... No sir-ee!

I have bridezilla moments of utter panic that the invitations won't look quite right & tie in with the menus on the table for the big day. And then I stand back, laugh at myself & get over it, in the same matter of craze-fueled moments it took me to get into my worried state in the first place. As my University Technical teacher always used to say to me "You'll make it work Zoe, you always do."

Well... Here's hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment